Thursday 15 March 2012

Lost Souls

The call was given as abdominal pain! I arrived at the address and was met by a middle aged man who didn't say much and gestured for me to go upstairs! I looked in the direction of his pointing finger and started to climb the stairs slightly bemused by the less than helpful reception.

As I was climbing the stairs I looked up. Standing at the top of the stairs was a young tearful adult male and a large female dressed in a track suit. I wondered why the man was crying, I also wondered who the patient was because at this point it was unclear.

I introduced myself and asked who it was that I had come to see. All the while making my way to the top of the stairs and surveying the scene. The young man pointed at the woman who appeared reluctant to speak. As I was asking her what was wrong I could see behind her through an open bedroom door, bloodstained sheets and crumpled bedding! It was then I noticed the broken umbilical cord trailing over the waist band of her track suit bottoms at her rear.

I quickly realised the implications of this and looking at the patient new that she had not delivered her placenta. I shepherded her back to the bed and persuaded her to lie down. Establishing that she was in no pain and clinically stable, I questioned her about the whereabouts of her baby. I couldn't be sure but she seemed a little slow and may have suffered with learning difficulties. She pointed through the open door across the landing in the direction of the bathroom.

I was now very apprehensive as the situation was far from normal and I had not heard any noises that would indicate the presence of a baby. I entered the bathroom which was very untidy and on looking into the toilet was confronted with something in the toilet bowl. I say something, because when you are looking at the backside of a baby, whose body has crumpled behind its head which was firmly lodged and completely submerged in the toilet, for a brief moment it is difficult to make sense of what you are looking at.

I was stunned but quickly regained my composure and reached into the toilet and lifted the baby out and gently laid it on the floor. I estimated from the weight of the baby that it was close to if not full term. The poor soul was clearly dead and my heart was now very heavy. I knew I was not going to get much sense from the people present. Control were informed and a crew was requested for the female.

The patient was conveyed to hospital in the ambulance and I followed with the baby. The police were awaiting our arrival. It is believed that the baby was stillborn, but I never did discover what else had gone on in that house or why the man downstairs had been so unconcerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment